Friday, September 28, 2007

Reflections on this PA Day

Last night I found myself on the phone with another mother trying to find time for our girls to get together. I was on the phone with my calendar in front of me for 15 minutes -- only to find that in the next two weeks, we were just too busy for a playdate. We had to give up and leave it at "if you're not doing anything on Thanksgiving Monday, maybe the girls can have a sleepover Sunday night...let me know."

We are sooooo busy this fall. It is just CRAZY. I find myself being tied to my calendar -- even just to set a date for coffee or the movies with a friend. We're regularly doing more than one social event a day on the weekends. Tomorrow we have three!!!

The thing is, I'm not sure what to think about it. Sometimes I feel frantic -- like I haven't got time to do the laundry (unless I totally give up sleeping all together) or clean the bathroom! But other times I am just so overwhelmed with how amazing our life is -- how full, how overflowing with friendship and love from family that I don't know if I would take back one coffee time, one party...one piano lesson...one playdate.

Today is PA Day. I know that as a kid, I didn't always like these random days off school. I always liked to see my friends, do my schoolwork, play at recess. A day off was boring! Normally my kids wake me from sleep with the question: "What are we doing today? Who's coming over? Where are we going?" But today's school holiday is a break for me. Oh, don't get me wrong. I still have 5 kids to care for. But I don't have to run around -- here and there, on a time-table that I can't keep straight in my mind. Asher and I did a puzzle. We're going to paint and cut and paste. Hopefully we'll go to the park. It isn't a restful day for me -- but a day at home is nice. For all of us.

Tomorrow we have the morning as a family. Some of that will be spent cleaning the house while the kids are watching tv. But hopefully we'll have time to lounge, read books, do puzzles and chill together. After that, we're off to family reunions, concerts for our talented friends, surprise 40th birthday parties for our neighbours. It sounds crazy -- but it also means we're blessed. I know I talk about this a lot -- but what can I say?
I feel the pull...but I also feel the love.

No comments: