Thursday, September 13, 2007

enough is enough

This is a comic. A little joke, if you will. HA HA. VERY FUNNY. The joke's on me.

Last night I was running some errands and found myself singing along to "Fruit salad...yummy yummy! Yummy yummy yummy yummy fruit salad...". I freaking
hate The Wiggles and their catchy little, poorly sung, poorly produced songs/videos. My kids absolutely love them -- damn it. But we have Sirius Satellite Radio: Home of Howard Stern! Now he's no children's entertainer!! But there I was, on one of my precious escapes from urban mommyhood and I didn't notice, for quite some time, that I was bouncing along to these loathed Australian children's entertainers. Oh dear god, I think I liked it!!!!

Today I forgot one of my daycare kids. I felt like shit. That's the honest truth. This little girl has been having trouble with school-refusal and I said I'd be here if she wanted to come home for lunch and I forgot. I took the other kids to the Ontario Early Years Centre for lunch -- so that I could have a break from making lunch.

Poor kid. I'm a jerk.

The question is: How do I find the balance?

I want to be focused enough on my kids so that all their needs -- emotionally, physically, spiritually, intellectually, creatively... are met. More than met -- in fact -- I want to be an awesome mom! On the other hand, I want to recognize when enough is enough. Maybe I'm being selfish or even too hard on myself here but when I no longer can differentiate between my taste and theirs, or when I can't keep one day's responsibilities straight from next...maybe it's enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it isn't about finding "balance", maybe it is just recognizing that we live in different worlds within one itself and that means there will never be a balance. Maybe we are supposed to focus on just operating as best we can.

Oh yeah and for me, it's the bloody Backyardigans...I sing those songs all the time, but at least they are catchy..."Castaways, we are castaways..."

Like your blog.

Jay (not so anonymous)