Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Maximmoxie it is!

I spent the last two days trying to think of something clever to name this blog. I wanted something perfect. Something to really capture my wit, my charm, my value, my purpose. This proved to be a very difficult task.

Last night I went to see a theatrical version of an amazing book by Donald Miller called Blue Like Jazz. It was done as a one-man, multi-media production by a casual acquaintance of Chris and I -- Jason Hildebrand. He's a very gifted Canadian actor who has a long list of professional credits to his name. The production was polished, well-executed, entertaining and moving. Still, I had trouble comparing the book (which I loved) to the play (which I also loved). But the play just didn't have the same the same je ne sais quoi that the book did. It was a great play. Don't get me wrong. In fact, please go and see it tonight or tomorrow. It is fully worth your while. But what I'm trying to get at is -- if you want to understand the message of Blue Like Jazz it's best to hear it from Donald Miller in the book...or better yet, from him personally. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to talk to every artist, author, choreographer, composer, playwright...to really fully understand the essence of the piece??

Then again, maybe that takes some of the mystique away from things...

Today as I tried again to name this stinkin' blog I realized something: A blog title can't "capture" me. Not perfectly anyway. It might get at some of who I am...but certainly not all. It can't portray my essence! Only my creator can. Sounds trite. I know. But I am always searching for the truth about myself. But that can't be captured in a pithy title. Or a clever word or two. Understanding who my creator intends me to be is an ongoing project.

So maximmoxie. Random. Basically meaningless. Perfect.

1 comment:

Jes Lacasse said...

Maxim Moxie, I have a link to you on Your Sweet Bippy!