Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Weekend for the Truly Over-Committed Extrovert...and it ROCKED!

I had an amazing weekend. Truly.

Friday night, we went to the movies (which we NEVER get to do...) and saw Across The Universe. It was pretty genius. I laughed, I cried...you know the drill. I just loved it. Go and see for yourself.

Saturday was kinda nuts...but brilliant.

We went to a family reunion for my father's side and got to catch up with the family we never see. That was wonderful. But the best part was watching my kids (with all their little second cousins) slide down a hill of dirt that was at least 30 feet tall. This was okay with me -- in fact I loved it...until I found out that Aurora had no underwear on and was wearing a skirt. Oh well...she soaked...in the bath...for a while. But at least she was having fun!!

I also saw some amazing musicians in action at FRWY Cafe throughout the day and night. A highlight for me was getting to see, for my first time, my friend Ben Bowen playing his first instrument (trumpet) in a gig. He's got serious talent and it was so much fun to see him playing the music he really loves with his very cool band The Book of Gnomes. I was also introduced to a new and amazing talent on the scene: Joshua Bartholomew. Like a friend sitting next to me during his show last night said: He's going to be the next big Canadian thing. This guy is amazing. I suggest you find a way to hear him.

There was one particular guy there, who apparently frequents the church services there on Sunday nights. He wore a top hat, tilted to the side, heavy white makeup on his face, with thick black eyeliner all around his eyes, and a very long black trench coat. I thought to myself, wow, he is a little scary looking! But then a friend's little 3 year old girl came up to us and said, Look mommy! Look at his costume! He's so COOL!!!! Right in that moment I felt convicted by my own judgement. Who am I to say he's scary? Here is this brave guy, sitting all alone, all day, the odd one out in this little cafe, rockin' his style! He was just enjoying the local musicians and the easy, accepting atmosphere. Good for him! And the little girl is right. He is so COOL.

Sitting in the cafe watching the most interesting mix of people breeze in and out just made me feel like I'm exactly where I want to be...in a diverse and amazing city. A city full of real people, people with talent, people with stories, people with soul. I love my city.

I also managed to slip out of the music festival to attend a neighbour's 40th birthday party. I was glad I could share that with the people who live around me. As deeply as I love my city, I love my neighbours. They bless me and my family on a daily basis with their friendship and their care. Happy Birthday Sherry!

As for our Sunday -- we heathens skipped church this morning (thank goodness for podcasts!) and slept in. Chris and I took turns and snoozed off and on all morning! The kids stayed in their jammies, watching movies, eating toast and surviving until their parents finally rolled their asses out of bed for good at 11 am. We are bad parents, but man it felt good!

This afternoon we spent a few hours at Webster's Falls, a beautiful spot in Dundas Valley. My great new friend Krista Jefferson (of Krista Jefferson Photography) took our family photos there. I am SO excited to see how they turned out since she was the winner in four categories in this year's Hamilton Spectator Reader's Choice awards -- including Best Photographer! How honoured are WE to have this amazing, talented person taking our family photos -- let alone have her as a friend! Thank you Krista! Some of the pics will be up on her blog (at the link above) very soon. Check them, and all her work out!

Tonight I took the kids to the FRWY worship service. It was a good thing it was relaxed -- because I was pretty darn wiped! Ahhhhh. Community, reflection, praise and prayer -- all while chillin' on a couch with a cafe mocha in hand! I think I like this 'emerging church' stuff.
Tee hee.

Another weekend...another...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the photos that Krista took! saw them on her blog...

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun!
What's FRWY? Is it in Hamilton?

Anonymous said...

sorry,
anonymous=Lee-Anne