Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yes, I'm into opera. Really.

As you probably read in my last post, I'm studying voice at HCA. When I was studying voice as a kid, I worked on very few operatic arias as my voice was not fully developed. Now that I'm all grown up, I'm studying opera. It has made me realize that I really love opera. I love the dramatic side to this genre of music. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea...but it's lots of fun. I'm using muscles I forgot I had; it feels so good to be working so hard. It has also gotten me reading history...history of art, history of music, history of literature. Wakey wakey brain!

Tonight I watched a special on Bravo about Jessye Norman, an American dramatic soprano. She's the quintessential diva. Her voice and stage presence are quite amazing. So majestic!



Here she is singing Mon Coeur S'ouvre a ta Voix from the opera Samson and Dalilah by Sainte-Saens -- a new piece I'm learning.

I think I love the Romantics...

No comments: